Friendship Soup Mix Recipe
100% would make again
- 16 Servings
- Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 cup dried green split peas
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed and well dried
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta or other small pasta
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) Hunt’s® Original Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- In a 1-1/2-pint jar, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. Wrap pasta in a small sheet of plastic wrap; add to jar. Seal tightly. Store in a cool dry place for up to 3 months.
- To prepare soup: Remove pasta from jar and set aside. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and soup mix; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the reserved pasta; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta, peas, barley and lentils are tender. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts) per batch.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium bouillon) equals 165 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 meat.
Friendship Soup Mix published in Taste of Home December/January 1998, p18